Typologically, the Villa Bridler is an important example of the "villa of the middle class", a type of building that stands in the tradition of the large villas from the Wilhelminian period after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 that were built around the 1880s.
Compared to the large villas, the reduction in building size and quality of furnishings is typical, as are the omission of a dominant hall on the ground floor and the simultaneous retention of special rooms such as the study, verandas, children's playroom, maid's room, etc.
No expense was spared on the outside: a tower-like stairwell projection, Tudor gables with decorative elements, Gothic window frames, porch extensions, ornate fireplaces and stained-glass windows contribute to the stately appearance of the building, which can be clearly identified as a villa. In addition, the Villa Bridler is one of the most important "architects' homes" in Winterthur.
Stylistically, the Villa Bridler is one of the extremely rare examples of Tudor Gothic, which in Winterthur was only used by the architects Jung & Bridler and can therefore perhaps be understood as a kind of "trademark".
Otto Bridler is difficult to judge as an architect. In the literature mostly the names of his partners - Jung and Völki - are emphasized. Many works are passed off as theirs. Bridler is often not mentioned at all and if so, then only as part of the full company name. It is difficult to tell what function Bridler held within the two architects' offices.
Since he devoted himself mostly to his military career from 1914 onwards, it can be assumed that Bridler covered administrative rather than artistic aspects.
Photo: 1930: maneuvers of the 3rd division, Bridler, Colonel Scheible and Federal Councilor Minger at the parade (source: Schweizer Illustrierte)